MavROS (MavLink + ROS)

This MavROS package provides communication driver for various autopilots with MAVLink communication protocol. Additional it provides UDP MAVLink bridge for ground control stations (e.g. QGroundControl). 
As a beginner I have wasted a lot of time to know about what is is MavLink, whats the use of it and how to use it. Finally I found it is easy to communicate with mavros insted of directly through mavlink.
Before starting, you should know about ROS. I recommend to go through basic ROS tutorials (here). Once you are aware of ROS, then clone MavROS repository to your workspace and you can directly start using it through SITL simulation.
I consider you are familiar with ROS topics, just go through mavros wiki page (here). Through that you can better understand the package like, what are all the topics getting published and subscribed  etc.
Along with the above ROS knowledge you should know about the drone's autopilot and firmware. If you are using PX4 check out px4 dev page (here) for better understanding MavROS. Gazebo is a physics engine where you can simulate any type of real world models almost with all the physical parameters. If you want know more about it, please visit gazebo tutorial page (here).
Okay fine, I guess you will be bored of reading all the documentations and all, now we will enter into some simulation stuff. It is always recommended to use a simulator before going to test anything in real time.
If you have followed px4 dev guide carefully there Gazebo Simulation explanation is available. Only thing you have to do is clone a repository adding few paths and launch the file. Thats it, you will be able to talk to drone with mavros or mavlink which ever it is comfortable to you.

 Gazebo Simulation (SITL):













Comments